Hells Gate Geothermal Mud Bath Spa
Experience a unique Geothermal Mud Bath and Sulphur Spa
OPEN EVERY DAY: 8:30am-8:30/10:00pm
Travel east from Rotorua on State Highway 30. Approximately 5 minutes past airport turn right toward Whakatane and proceed 4kms to Hells Gate.
Hells Gate Mud Bath Spa includes: Skin Rejuvenation Mud Bath, Sulphur Spa
Please advise if you require a complimentary shuttle, available from within the Rotorua area, for pick up at 9.00am, 1.00pm and 5.00pm
Note: Please bring comfortable shoes for walk, swimsuit and towel (we have swimsuit, shorts and towel hire at $5 per item)
NATURAL SPA THERAPIES AND ROTORUA MUD BATHS
The unique geothermal muds and waters of Rotorua are renown for their curative and invigorating properties—and this is particularly so at “Hells Gate” - Rotorua’s most active thermal park. For more than 700 years “Hells Gate” or Tikitere as it is known to the Maori (New Zealand’s indigenous people) has been a special place of wellness from the medicinal sulphur lake to the curative waters and muds of “Hurutini” (name of a geothermal pool). With the arrival of the Europeans to New Zealand (Aotearoa) some 150 years ago, the special qualities of the muds and waters of Hells Gate Tikitere, have been sought after with many documented and medically certified cures being effected.
The special muds and sulphurous waters have been guarded for centuries by the Kaitiaki - ’Wai Ora’ (guardian warrior) after whom the spa is named.
Additional properties of “Hells Gate” muds include:
- Very strong affinity to moisture in the skin making it an excellent product for promoting regenerating skin cells
- Detoxifying and purifying action of the mud on the skin when drying
- Highly active clay surfaces of the mud that easily absorbs excess oils and fatty secretions from within the skin’s pores
- Bacteriacidal properties of the mud through it’s sulphur content which kill bacteria and assists in the prevention and elimination of acne
There are special qualities retained in “Hells Gate” mud which is a very fine suspension in the mineral enriched geothermal waters of the “Hurutini” pool. This mineral enriched geothermal mud provides an excellent source of minerals including silica, alumina, magnesium, calcium, iron, titanium, sulphur, phosphorous, sodium and potassium as well as trace elements such as copper, zinc, selenium, cobalt, manganese and molylodeman.
- Hells Gate Mud Bath and Spa - Enjoy the finest geothermal muds in solid and suspension form as you indulge in the Hells Gate Mud Bath and soak in the Hells Gate Sulphur Spa.
Open 364 days a year (closed Chirstmas Day) 8.30am - 8.30/10.00pm